Dr. Mary Healy
Dr. Mary Healy is associate professor of Scripture at Sacred Heart Major Seminary in Detroit and senior fellow at the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology. A graduate of the University of Notre Dame, she earned an MA in theology at Franciscan University of Steubenville and a licentiate at the International Theological Institute in Gaming, Austria. She completed her doctorate in biblical theology at the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome in 2000. Dr. Healy served for several years as the Coordinator of Mother of God Community, a lay Catholic community in Gaithersburg, Maryland. She is the author of Men and Women Are from Eden: A Study Guide to John Paul II’s Theology of the Body and co-editor of three books on biblical interpretation. She often addresses conferences on biblical interpretation, the theology of the body, and the spiritual life. Dr. Healy is currently involved in a major new biblical project, the Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture, a series of commentaries that interpret Scripture from within the heart of the Church. She is author of its first volume, The Gospel of Mark, which has just been released.
- S.T.D., summa cum laude, Biblical Theology, Pontifical Gregorian University (2000). Dissertation: “What the Heart of Man Has Not Conceived”: A Theological Approach to 1 Cor 2:6-16.
- S.T.L., summa cum laude, International Theological Institute, Gaming, Austria (1998)
- M.A., Philosophy, Catholic University of America (1991)
- M.A., Theology, Franciscan University of Steubenville (1988)
- B.A., Government and Pre-medicine, University of Notre Dame (1986)
- 2004–present: Adjunct Professor of Scripture, Institute for Pastoral Theology at Ave Maria University, Naples, FL. Courses: Pauline Epistles.
- 2001–present: Assistant Professor of Theology and Sacred Scripture, Notre Dame Graduate School of Christendom College, Alexandria, VA. Courses: Biblical Spirituality, Synoptic Gospels, Apologetics.
- 2000–present: Coordinator, Mother of God Community, a Catholic lay community recognized as a private association of the faithful under the Archdiocese of Washington. Teaching, evangelization, retreats, pastoral care, community organization, liaison with Archdiocese and ecumenical relations.
- 1997: Instructor of Theology, International Theological Institute, Austria. Course: Gospel of John.
- 1994–96: Director of Religious Education, St. Jane de Chantal Parish, Bethesda, MD.
- 1992–94: Primary School Teacher (part-time), Mother of God School, Gaithersburg, MD.
- 1988–89: High School Teacher, The Trivium School, Lancaster, MA.
- 1988: Copy Editor, Sophia Institute Press, Manchester, NH.
Associations and Boards
- Member of the Catholic Biblical Association and the Fellowship of Catholic Scholars.
- Member of the Scripture and Hermeneutics Seminar, an ecumenical, interdisciplinary annual consultation aimed at
- renewing biblical interpretation in the academy.
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Spirituality Evangelization Academy, Center Valley, Pennsylvania.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Mother of God School, Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Member of the International Catholic Charismatic Renewal Services Doctrinal Commission.
- Senior Fellow, St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology.
- New Catholic Commentary on Scripture, a mid-level multi-volume New Testament commentary series, co-edited with Peter Williamson. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic. First volumes forthcoming in 2008.
- The Bible and Epistemology: Biblical Soundings on the Knowledge of God. Co-edited with Robin Parry. Carlisle: Paternoster, forthcoming in 2007.
- Men and Women Are from Eden: A Study Guide to John Paul II’s Theology of the Body. Cincinnati: Servant, 2005. (French translation, 2006).
- Out of Egypt: Biblical Theology and Biblical Interpretation, (eds.) Craig Bartholomew, Mary Healy, Robin Parry and Karl Möller (Carlisle: Paternoster Press / Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2004).
- Behind the Text: History and Biblical Interpretation, (eds.) Craig Bartholomew, Mary Healy, Murray Rae and Stephen Evans (Carlisle: Paternoster Press / Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2003).
- “Knowledge of the Mystery: A Study in Pauline Epistemology,” in The Bible and Epistemology: Biblical Soundings on the Knowledge of God.
- “Inspiration and Incarnation: The Christological Analogy and the Hermeneutics of Faith,” Letter & Spirit 2 (2006), 27-41.
- “Behind, in Front of… or Through the Text? The Christological Analogy and the Lost Realm of Biblical Truth,” in Behind the Text? History and Biblical Interpretation.
- “Thinking and Talking about Love,” Share the Word 25 (Jan. 2004).
- In His Image, a regular column on biblical anthropology, Christianity.com web site, Fall 2000.
- 2006: “Atonement and the Flesh of Christ,” Letter and Spirit Conference, St. Paul Seminary, Pittsburgh.
- 2006: “Contributions of the Renewal to the Lived Pro-Life Message of the Church,” Theological Symposium on the Charismatic Renewal, Steubenville, OH.
- 2006: Mini-course on the Theology of the Body, International Institute for Clergy Formation, Seton Hall University.
- 2005: “Wars of the Ring: The Theology of the Body and the Christian Response to the Crisis in Marriage and Family,” Christian Association of Psychological Studies East Conference, Chambersburg, PA.
- 2005: “Inspiration and Incarnation: The Christological Analogy and the Hermeneutics of Faith,” Letter and Spirit Conference, St. Paul Seminary, Pittsburgh.
- 2005: “The Fellowship of the Ring: Lay Community as a Response of the Holy Spirit to the Challenge of the Culture of Death,” Catholic Healing Symposium, Gaithersburg, MD.
- 2003: Response to At Home in the Scripture: Indwelling the Story of the Bible, Scripture and Hermeneutics Seminar, University of St. Andrews, Scotland.
- 2002: “‘Charismystics’: Baptism in the Spirit and the Renewal of Catholic Spirituality,” Theological Symposium on the Charismatic Renewal, Steubenville, OH.
- 2002: Response to William Alston, Scripture and Hermeneutics Consultation, Gordon College, Wenham, MA.
- 2001: “‘Moses Wrote of Me’: Some Implications of Spiritual Interpretation of the Old Testament in the Gospel of John,” Continuing Seminar on Historical Criticism and the Spiritual Sense, Catholic Biblical Association annual meeting.
- 2001: “Reading Scripture in the Spirit: Discovering the Spiritual Sense in an Age of Critical Exegesis,” Notre Dame Graduate School.
- 2002–present: Over 35 presentations on John Paul II’s Theology of the Body at conferences, retreats and parishes in eight states and on radio and TV.
- 2006: “You are the Body of Christ and Individually Members of it” and “Healing in Marriage and Family,” India National Catholic Charismatic Convention, Muringoor, Kerala.
- 2006: “Digging for Gold in the Gospel of John,” Called to Lead Conference, St. Paul, MN.
- 2006: “Women in the Church,” St. Paul, MN; Steubenville, OH; Tulsa, OK.
- 2006: “The Woman at the Well,” Applied Biblical Studies Conference, Steubenville, OH.
- 2004–2006: “Introduction to the Old Testament”; “Introduction to the New Testament”; “The Apostles’ Creed,” St. Raphael’s Parish, Rockville, MD.
- 2004: “Scripture Since Vatican II: Deeper into the Word,” St. Paul’s Church, Damascus, MD.
- 2004: “The Lord of the Rings Unveiled,” Notre Dame Graduate School of Christendom College.
- 2003: “The Dignity of Women in Catholic Teaching,” St. Peter’s Church, Olney, MD.
- 2003: “Introduction to Ecclesia de Eucharistia,” Spirituality Evangelization Academy, Northampton, PA.
- 2003: “Adoration of the Eucharist Outside of Mass in the Thought, Teaching and Life of Pope John Paul II,” Spirituality Evangelization Academy, Bethlehem, PA.
- 1996: Three-part series on the Catechism of the Catholic Church, St. Louis Parish, Ellicott City, MD.