Father Jeremy Driscoll, O.S.B.
Father Jeremy Driscoll, O.S.B. Senior Fellow of the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology, has been a Benedictine monk of Mount Angel Abbey in Oregon since 1973. He was ordained a priest in 1981. In 1983 he earned an S.T.L. in patristics from the Augustinianum Patristic Institute in Rome. He has been teaching theology in Mount Angel Seminary since then. In 1990 he was awarded an S.T.D. from the Pontifical Athenaeum Sant’Anselmo in Rome, writing his thesis on Evagrius Ponticus and ancient Egyptian monasticism. He has published three books and fifteen scholarly articles on Evagrius and related topics in ancient Egyptian monasticism. He has also written widely on liturgical questions. A collection of his studies, Theology at the Eucharistic Table, Master Themes in the Theological Tradition, was published by Studia Anselmiana and Gracewing in 2004. In 2005 his popular book on the Eucharist, called What Happens at Mass, was published by Liturgy Training Publications in Chicago. He has also published three books of poetry in addition to a recent collection of poetic essays called A Monk’s Alphabet, Moments of Stillness in a Turning World. He has taught theology at Mount Angel Seminary since 1983, and since 1994 he has also been teaching a semester each year at Sant’Anselmo in Rome. In 2002 he was named as advisor to the Vox Clara Commission for the Congregation for Divine Worship at the Vatican. In 2004 he was named a member of the Pontifical Academy of Theology. In 2005 he was appointed by Pope John Paul II as consultor to the Congregation for Divine Worship.
- S.T.D., Pontificio Ateneo Sant’ Anselmo, Rome (1990)
- S.T.L., Augustinianum Patristic Institute, Rome (1983)
- M. A. Mount Angel Seminary School of Theology (1980)
- M. Div., Mount Angel Seminary School of Theology (1977)
- 2002: Professore Straordinario nella Facoltà di Teologia, Pontificio Ateneo Sant’ Anselmo
- 2000: Full Professor, Mount Angel Seminary
Membership in Learned Societies
- North American Patristic Society
- Society for Catholic Liturgy
- Socio Corrispondente della Pontificia Academia di Teologia (Vatican)
- Saint Paul Center for Biblical Theology, Distinguished Fellow
- Congregation for Divine Worship (Vatican), Consultor
- Gregorian University, Rome (visiting professor)
- Pontifical Athenaeum Sant’ Anselmo, Rome (associate professor in theology)
- Bishops Committee on the Liturgy for the United States National Conference of Catholic Bishops (theological consultant)
- AIM, the international organization for aide to monasteries in third world countries (consultant in patristics)
- Studia Monastica (editorial board member)
- Congregation for Divine Worship in the Vatican (Vox clara committee theological consultant)
Born October 24, 1951; Benedictine monk since 1973; Roman Catholic priest since 1981; currently graduate theology professor, Mount Angel Seminary.
- Steps to Spiritual Perfection:Studies on Spiritual Progress in Evagrius Ponticus (New York: Evagrius Ponticus, 2005)
- A Monk’s Alphabet, Random Thoughts of a Monk in Alphabetical Order (Boston: New Seeds, 2005)
- What Happens at Mass (Chicago: Leominster, 2005)
- Co Sie Wydarza Podczas Mszy (Krakow, 2004)
- Theology at the Eucharistic Table, Master Themes in the Theological Tradition (Rome: Leominster, 2003)
- Evagrius Ponticus: Ad Monachos, translation and commentary (New York, 2003)
- Imaginer la théologie catholique, Mélanges offerts à Ghislain Lafont editor (Rome, 2000)
- Spiritual Progress, Studies in the Spirituality of Late Angtiquity and Early Monasticism co-editor with M. Sheridan (Rome, 1994)
- The Mind’s Long Journey to the Holy Trinity: The ‘Ad Monachos’ of Evagrius Ponticus (Collegeville, 1993)
- The ‘Ad Monachos’ of Evagrius Ponticus: Its Structure and a Select Commentary (Roma, 1991)
- “Thinking From the Liturgy About the Trinity” in Assembly 31, n. 4 (July 2005): 26-27.
- “The Church in the United States: What Has Happened Since Ecclesia in America” in Periodicum Internationale Editum a Pontificia Academia Theologiae 4 (2005/1): 177-202.
- “Proclaiming the Word of God in the Assembly of Believers” in Assembly 31, n. 6 (November 2005): 42-45.
- “The Word of God in the Liturgy of the New Covenant” in Letter and Spirit 1 (2005): 87-100.
- “’Inheritor’: A Poem by Czeslaw Milosz in Logos, A Journal of Catholic Thought and Culture 8 (2005): 35-46.
- “The eternal swing,” in The Tablet 1 April 2006: 11.
- “First Love” in Spirituality 12 (2006): 169-170.
- “Una parola per vivere, una tradizione dei padri del deserto” in Oreundici 3 (2006): 8-10.
- “The Contribution of Monastic Life to the Church and the World” in The Contribution of Monastic Life to the Church and the World, Essays in Celebration of the Fiftieth Anniversary of Mount Saviour Monastery, eds. Martin Boler and Anthony J. Cernera. Fairfield, Connecticut, 2006, pp. 152-166.
- “The Witness of Czeslaw Milosz” First Things 147 (November 2004), pp. 28-33
- “Czeslaw Milosz oczami teologa, Katolik radykalny?” Tygodnik Powszechny, (September 12, 2004), pp. 8-9
- “The ‘Circle of Evagrius’ Then and Now” Il Monachesimo tra eredità e aperture, Atti del simposio “Testi e temi nella tradizione del monachesimo cristiano” per il 50 anniversario dell’istituto monastico di Sant’Anselmo, Roma, 28 maggio – 1 giungno 2002, eds. M. Bielawski e Daniel Hombergen (Rome, 2004), pp. 61-73
- “Eucharist: Source and Summit of the Church’s Communion” Ecclesia Orans 21 (2004), pp. 203-225
- “The ‘Circle of Evagrius’ Then and Now” Studia Monastica 45 (2003), pp. 7-18
- “Uncovering the Dynamic Lex Orandi— Lex Credendi in the Baptismal Theology of Irenaeus” Pro Ecclesia 12:2 (2003), pp. 213-225
- Review of B. Müller, Der Weg des Weinens. Die Tradition des Penthos in den Apophthegmata patrum (Göttingen, 2000) in Journal of Ecclesiastical History 53 (2002), pp. 547-548
- “Theology at the Eucharistic Table, Master Themes in the Theological Tradition” Pro Ecclesia, 11:4 (2002), pp. 389-401
- “Uncovering the Dynamic Lex Orandi— Lex Credendi in the Trinitarian Theology of Origen” Ecclesia Orans 19 (2002), pp. 85-100
- “Alla scoperta della dinamica Lex Orandi—Lex Credendi nella teologia pre-nicena” in Storia e teologia all’incrocio, Orizzonti e percorsi di una disciplina, eds. M. Bielawski, M. Sheridan. (Rome, 2002), pp. 62-111
- “The Fathers and Eucharistic Preaching” Pro Ecclesia, 11:1 (2002), pp. 24-40
- “Eustazio di Sebaste e il primo ascetismo cappadoce” in Basilio tra oriente e occidente, Convengno Internazionale ‘Basilio il Grande e il monachesimo orientale’ Cappadocia, 5-7 otttobre 1999, a cura della Comunità di Bose. (Magnano, Qiqajon, 2001), pp. 13-29
- “Uncovering the Dynamic Lex Orandi—Lex Credendi in the Anaphora of The Apostolic Tradition of Hippolytus” Ecclesia Orans 18 (2001), pp. 327-364
- “‘Love of Money’ in Evagrius Ponticus” Studia Monastica 43 (2001), pp. 21-30
- “Conceiving the Translator’s Task, The Roman Missal and the Vernacular,” in The Voice of the Church, A Forum on Liturgical Translation, ed. Ad Hoc Committee on the Forum on the Principles of Translation, United States Bishops’ Conference (Washington, 2001), pp. 49-95
- “The Fathers and Eucharistic Preaching” Antiphon, A Journal for Liturgical Renewal 5:3 (2000), pp. 29-38
- “Il pensiero malvagio dell’avarizia, o ‘Amore del denaro’ in Evagrio Pontico,” Parola, Spirito e Vita 42 (2001), pp.219-232
- “Eucharistic Adoration,” in A Book of Readings on the Eucharist, A Eucharistic Jubilee ed. Subcommittee on the Third Millennium, National Conference of Catholic Bishops (Washington, 2000), pp. 79-87
- “Monastic Culture and the Catholic Intellectual Tradition” in Examining the Catholic Intellectual Tradition eds. A.J. Cernera, O.J. Morgan. (Fairfield, CT, 2000), pp. 55-73
- “The Manifestation of the Trinitarian Mystery in th Eucharistic Assembly,” Imaginer la théologie catholique, Mélanges offerts à Ghislain Lafont. (2000), pp. 501-512
- “The Fathers of Poemen and the Evagrian Connection” Studia Monastica 42 (2000), pp. 27-51
- Review of B. Studer, The Grace of Christ and the Grace of God in Augustine of Hippo: Christocentrism or Theocentrism? (Collegeville, 1997) in Pro Ecclesia 8:3 (1999), pp. 370-371
- “Apatheia and Purity of Heart in Evagrius Ponticus” in Purity of Heart in Early Ascetic and Monastic Literature eds. H.A. Luckman, L. Kulzer (Collegeville, 1999), pp. 141-159
- “Liturgy, Formation, and the General Directory for Catechesis” Antiphon, A Journal for Liturgical Renewal 4:1 (1999), pp. 14-21
- “Anamnesis, Epiclesis and Fundamental Theology” Ecclesia Orans 15 (1998), pp. 211-238
- “Evagrius and Paphnutius on the Causes for Abandonment by God” Studia Monastica 39 (1997), pp. 259-286
- “La formazione monastica oggi in dialogo con la tradizione” La formazione monastica oggi (1997), pp. 29-47
- “La formación monástica actual en diálogo con la tradición” Cuadernos Monasticos 122 (1997), pp. 253-271
- Review of A. Nichols, Looking at the Liturgy, A Critical View of Its Contemporary Form, (San Francisco, 1996) in First Things 73 (May 1997), pp. 52-53
- Review of T.F. Torrance, Divine Meaning: Studies in Patristic Hermeneutics (Edinburgh, 1995) in The Thomist 61 (1997), pp. 146-150
- “Spousal Images in Evagrius Ponticus” Studia Monastica 38 (1996), pp. 243-256
- “The Eucharist and Fundamental Theology” Ecclesia Orans 13 (1996), pp. 407-437
- “Deepening the Theological Dimensions of Liturgical Studies” Communio 23 (1996), pp. 508-523
- “Exegetical Procedures in the Desert Monk Poemen” in Mysterium Christi, Symbolgegenwart und theologische Bedeutung, Festschrift für Basil Studer eds. M. Löhrer and E. Salmann (1995), pp. 155-178
- “Penthos and Tears in Evagrius Ponticus” Studia Monastica 36 (1994), pp. 147-163
- “Spiritual Progress in the Works of Evagrius Ponticus” in Spiritual Progress, Studies in the Spirituality of Late Antiquity and Early Monasticism co-editor with M. Sheridan (Rome, 1994), pp. 47-84
- “Liturgy and Fundamental Theology, Frameworks for a Dialogue” Ecclesia Orans 11 (1994), pp. 69-99
- “Gentleness in the Ad Monachos of Evagrius Ponticus” Studia Monastica 33 (1990), pp. 295- 321
- “A Key for Reading the Ad Monachos of Evagrius Ponticus” Augustinianum 30 (1990), pp. 361-392
- “Listlessness in The Mirror for Monks of Evagrius Ponticus” Cistercian Studies 24 (1989), pp. 206-214
- “The Psalms and Psychic Conversion” Cistercian Studies 22 (1987), pp, 99-110
- The History of Baptism in the Early Church. DeSales Publications, 1986 (video)
- The History of Baptism From the Early Church to the Present. DeSales Publications, 1986 (video)
- “The Transfiguration in Hilary of Poitiers’ Commentary on Matthew” Augustinianum 24 (1984), pp. 395-420
- Eucharist and Religious Life, program for the Formation of Formators sponsored by the International Union of Superiors General at Gregorian University and Institutum Regina Mundi (Rome, June 1999-2005)
- “Eucharist: Source and Summit of the Church’s Communion,” presented at The Call to Holiness and Communion Symposium Sponsored by Sacred Heart Seminary, John Paul II Cultural Center (Washington, D.C., November 2003)
- “Preaching in the Context of the Eucharist: A Patristic Perspective,” Annual Priests’ Convocation (Archdiocese of Portland, OR, October 2000)
- “Preaching in the Context of the Eucharist: A Patristic Perspective,” Annual National Convention of the Society of Catholic Liturgy (September, 2000)
- “Sapiential Theology,” round table discussion with Ghislain Lafont, Centro Gaudium et Spes, Abbazia di Praglia (Padova, Italy, May 2000)
- Attuazione del Concilio Vaticano II Convegno Internazionale, participant and leader of round table discussion on liturgy (Vatican City, February 2000)
- Eustazio di Sebaste e le origini del monachesimo in Cappadocia, presented at the International Convention on Oriental Monasticism in Cappadocia (Istanbul, Cappadocia, Ephesus in Turkey, October 1999)
- Christ and Trinity in Monastic Life, presented at the Fourteenth Monastic Institute at St. John’s Abbey (Collegeville, MN, July 1999)
- The Translator’s Task, presented at United States National Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Forum on the Vernacular (Washington, D.C., November 1998)
- Liturgy, Sacrament, and Catecheis, presented at the General Catechetical Directory National Symposium (San Francisco, CA, November 1998)
- Lo Spirito Santo nella liturgia, plenary address to Bishops and Clergy of Umbria (Collevalenza, Italy, May 1998)
- Monastic Formation Today in Dialogue with the Tradition, plenary address to the World Congress of Benedictine Abbots (Rome, September 1996)
- St. Paul as Paradigm of Christian Life, keynote address to Honolulu 95. (April 1995)
- Evagrius Ponticus, workshop for American Benedictine Abbots at St. Benedict’s Abbey (Atchison, KS, February 1994)