The Bible and the Sacraments
The Bible and the Sacraments is unlike any other study on the sacraments. Certainly it looks at the basic teaching of the Church as to their meaning and origin. But it goes further. It investigates the deeper mystery of the sacraments as illuminated by Sacred Scripture.
Examining the rich relationship between the Old and New Testaments, it reveals the sacraments as more than mere earthly rituals. They are incredible “‘powers that come forth’ from the Body of Christ” (CCC 1116).
How it Works
The study consists of four main parts: the videos, the workbook, the supplemental materials, and the leader guide. The videos contain the bulk of the content, and can be viewed by themselves for a rich catechetical experience, but they were designed to be accompanied by the workbook. With a space for notes, recommended reading assignments, review questions, discussion questions and review notes, you’ll be fully prepared to absorb the rich content from the videos.
Supplemental readings come from the Bible, and the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Swear to God by Scott Hahn and Speaking the Love of God by Jacob Wood.
- Lesson One: Introduction to the Mysteries (23 min)
- Lesson Two: The Ritual of Family (31 min)
- Lesson Three: The Waters of Salvation (Baptism) (32 min)
- Lesson Four: On a Mission for God (Confirmation) (27 min)
- Lesson Five: The Sacrificial Offering (Eucharist) (27 min)
- Lesson Six: Lamb of God (Eucharist) (28 min)
- Lesson Seven: Heaven on Earth (Eucharist) (34 min)
- Lesson Eight: Reconciled to God (Penance) (29 min)
- Lesson Nine: Spiritual Healing (Anointing of the Sick) (26 min)
- Lesson Ten: Brides and Bridegrooms (Marriage) (29 min)
- Lesson Eleven: Ordained to Serve (Priesthood) (33 min)
Journey Through Scripture
The Bible and the Virgin Mary is part of the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology’s dynamic Journey Through Scripture Bible study series.
Journey through Scripture is the St. Paul Center’s flagship Bible study program designed to help ordinary Catholics grow in their knowledge of the Scriptures while deepening their understanding of the riches of our faith. Journey through Scripture takes a holistic approach, looking at the entire Bible and how all of its parts work together.